This cake is zingy and fresh tasting – and an easy one to throw together.
Makes 12 squares
175g soft butter
300g caster sugar
zest of an orange and juice of half
zest and juice of a lemon
3 large eggs
200g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100ml whole milk
1. Put the butter, 200g of the caster sugar and the zests into a bowl and beat using an electric whisk until pale and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, gradually, then sieve over half the flour and baking powder, and pour in half the milk.
3. Whisk until incorporated then add the remaining flour and milk and whisk again.
4. Pour into a greased and lined 10 x 8 inch traybake tin. Spread out and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes while you prepare the drizzle.
6. Mix together the remaining sugar with the lemon and orange juice.
7. Carefully remove the cake from the tin, transferring to a sheet of foil on a board.
8. Pierce the cake all over with a wooden skewer, then lift up the side of the foil to ensure no syrup escapes when you drizzle it all over.
9. Leave to cool completely.
To freeze: Transfer the cake on the board to the freezer. Open freeze then remove the board and cover with more foil.
To defrost: at room temp for 4 hours
This recipe can be found in The Foolproof Freezer Cookbook.