The secret to a really chocolatey cake is to dissolve the cocoa in boiling water first.
200g soft butter
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g choc chips
25g cocoa dissolved in 3-4 tbsp boiling water
For the icing:
75g soft butter
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/160 fan.
2. Grease and line a 28x18x5cm traybake tin
3. Put the butter, caster sugar, eggs and 25g dissolved cocoa into a bowl.
4. Sieve over the flour and baking powder.
5. Using a hand held electric whisk beat until creamy – about 2 mins.
6. Then gently fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Spoon into the tin and bake for 30-35 mins.
8. Cool then turn out.
9. Whisk the icing ingredients together until smooth and creamy and spread over the cake.
10. Fork the top to make a pattern if you like. Decorate with birthday figurines, raspberries or choc chips.
11. Keep cool.
This recipe can be found in The Foolproof Freezer Cookbook.