This recipe uses ready bought puff pastry, and it can be made and frozen ahead. Just defrost before cooking.
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
200g mushrooms, quartered
450g chicken thigh or breast, cut into chunks
2 pinches of dried tarragon
A splash of white wine or sherry, optional
2 tbsp plain flour
300ml chicken stock
4 tbsp creme fraiche
1 block puff pastry
A little flour
1 egg, beaten
Optional extras: leeks, sweetcorn, chunks of ham, bacon, asparagus
1. First melt the butter in a saucepan. Then add the onions and carrots, and soften for 6-8 minutes gently.
2. Add the mushrooms, chicken and herbs and stir over the heat for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the wine or sherry if using, and after it has bubbled for a minute stir in the flour.
4. Slowly add the stock, season, then simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the crème fraîche then leave to cool.
6. Meanwhile roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it is the thickness of a £1 coin.
7. Put your pie dish onto the pastry and cut around your dish (just slightly bigger).
8. With the remaining pastry cut 2cm wide strips. These will help the pastry lid stay in place.
9. Using a little water, damp around the edges of the dish and stick on the strips of pastry.
10. Spoon the chicken filling into the dish.
11. Then with a little more water make the pastry strips damp and top with the cut out lid of pastry.
12. Use a fork to press the edges down, and flute the edges to create a pattern if you like.
13. Brush the pastry with egg, then make a steam hole in the centre.
14. Bake at 200c/180 fan for about 30 mins until golden.
This recipe can be found in The Foolproof Freezer Cookbook.