The ultimate after dinner indulgence. These are not for the faint hearted. There are endless variations, adding espresso coffee, orange or mint, if you prefer it to the almond I have chosen.
300g good quality dark chocolate
8 soft ameretti biscuits
1-2 tbsp ameretto liqueur
2 tsp caster sugar
5 large eggs, at room temp, separated
To serve: 3-4 ameretti biscuits and cocoa to dust
1. Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and sit on top of a pan of barely simmering water until nearly melted.
2. Meanwhile crumble the ameretti biscuits into the bottom of 8 pots, cups or ramekins.
3. Add the ameretto and sugar to the melting chocolate and stir, then remove from the heat and water and leave to cool slightly.
4. Whip the egg whites in a bowl until stiff.
5. Stir the egg yolks into the nearly cooled chocolate and immediately fold in the egg whites until just combined.
6. Spoon the mousse over the crushed biscuits and chill.
To freeze: When set, cover the ramekins with cling film and freeze
To defrost: Take out of the freezer and place in the fridge to defrost gently for an hour
To serve: Crumble over ameretti biscuits and dust with cocoa
This recipe can be found in The Foolproof Freezer Cookbook.